Pages

Friday, September 12, 2014

#52wednesdayswithdad

Pretty much my whole life, I’ve ate with my dad once a week.  My parents divorced when I was in elementary school, and like most other kids from divorce, I saw my dad one night a week and every other weekend.  And that worked great for us!  I had an awesome childhood and both my parents are AMAZING!  I am so blessed!

But now, I’m 28 years old and I still eat with my dad every Wednesday night.  The tradition grew and adjusted just like I did over all the years.  In college, he drove to Raleigh every Wednesday to eat with me and however many people I drug along with me.  (Thanks dad for feeding us all those years J)  Then I met my husband, and even though I don’t remember, I’d be willing to bet he first met my dad on a Wednesday night.  When I got married, some people told my dad I’d stop eating with him because I’d be with Phil.  But it’s been three years and I still eat every Wednesday night!


Six months ago, I started documenting these nights.  I thought it would be fun for me to have all these pictures and thought a hashtag was a great way to keep them all in one place!  That’s when #52wednesdayswithdad started.

Somehow, it grew bigger than I ever imagined.  People started commenting on the photos and others would even ask at work where we ate, or what dad and I were going to do that night.  Other people actually looked forward to this weekly event that I’d been doing for years.  I think they enjoyed seeing a parent and child still have a great relationship into adulthood. (<- is that for real?  There is no way I’m an adult!!!)  Dad even started enjoying it.  Some nights he reminds me to take the picture if I forget.  And one day, I’ll figure out how to get him to smile. 


So, I encourage each of you to make an effort to ask someone you love out to dinner.  It doesn’t have to be a Wednesday night and it doesn’t have to happen every week, but there is something awesome about spending time with people that you love!  Take that step, make that phone call, and mark the plans on the calendar!  Then hashtag it with #52wednesdayswithdad  !!!  It would make my heart so happy to see other people loving on those they love!

Here is my amazing mom!!!  Can't leave her out of the post!!!  :-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment